Card, Mobile Credentials, and Door Locks

  • Card Lost or Stolen - Report your card missing and deactivate it.

  • Card Replacement - Replace your damaged or lost card.

  • Door Access Request - Request card access to buildings or rooms for campus events or to use resources.

  • Door Lock Issue - Report an issue with a card reader door lock.

  • Mobile Credentials - For assistance with Transact Mobile Credentials.



Describe who or what this request benefits

Available To

  • Students, Faculty, and Staff



There is a $20 fee to replace a lost or stolen card



Photo Identification (ID) System -

Card Replacement Door Access Request Door Lock Issue Mobile Credentials

Related Articles (2)

How to report your Trojan Card lost or stolen, deactivate/reactive your card, card security.


Service ID: 52394
Wed 3/22/23 10:37 AM
Tue 10/31/23 8:09 AM

Service Offerings (4)

Card Replacement
Request a replacement card
Door Access Request
Request door access for an event, room, or campus resource
Door Lock Issue
Report an issue with a door lock.
Mobile Credentials
Transact App for Mobile Credentials