Change Name / Preferred Name or Address Form

Change Name/Preferred Name or Address 


Use this request to update personal information such as legal name, preferred name and/or address.
Submit your request by selecting the "Submit Change Request" button on the right. 

*If you are a student employee or SD BOR Employee, you are required to submit a copy to HR of your Social Security Card to request a legal name change. 

Legal Name Change

Student legal name shall be used for:
- University ID Cards
- Class rosters & grade reports accessed through Banner Admin
- Financial Aid
- SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System)
- Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless a Request to Withhold Directory Information is in place)
- Transcripts & degree verification, including National Student Clearinghouse
- Records from the Registrar's Office and all licensure records
- Diploma

Preferred Name Change

Student preferred name shall be used for:
- Class rosters and grade reports accessed through Self-Service/SNAP Portal
- Dean's List and Academic Recognition
- TrojanConnect (EAB)

- Assigned email address (display name will reflect preferred name)
- Housing roster/assignment
- Commencement 
- Directory Listing (unless a Request to Withhold Directory Information is in place)
- D2L

DSU has the authority to deny any student, faculty, or staff preferred name or remove a preferred name. DSU will review and respond to each individual name change request.
Preferred names may not include symbols or numbers, be unlikely to be approved as legal names (e.g. be obscene or derogatory), or otherwise violate university policy. 
Preferred names shall not be used for the purpose of misrepresentation, to avoid legal obligations, or in any other manner that violates university policy, or federal, state, or local law.


Who can complete this form?

Current and Former students

If you are a faculty or staff member with DSU or another SD Board of Regents campus, please submit a name change request with the campus HR department.



Complete and submit this request by selecting the "Submit Change Request" button - include required documentation for legal name change.

Required Documentation:

For legal name change, please attach one of the following documents to this form for a name change:
*If you are a student employee or worker, you will need to submit a copy of your social security card

  • Copy of marriage license/certificate (signed legal document confirming marriage)
  • Copy of divorce decree
  • Copy of court order indicating name change
  • Copy of current passport (non-US citizens)
  • Copy of social security card (required for student employees)
Submit Change Request


Service ID: 49131
Thu 3/4/21 4:10 PM
Mon 8/14/23 12:14 PM